Okay so, I've been planning on starting a blog for a while now, but 1) have not been this bored in a very long time, 2) didn't think I'd have anything interesting to say and 3) couldn't believe that anyone in the right mind would want to read the generally boring ramblings of little old me. So just to ease my way into this revolution that is "blogging", I'm going to treat it like a diary, and see how I go from there.
This first post can be an introduction, just because I can.
My name is Amy. I am 20 years old, born and raised on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. I live with my typical nuclear family, with a twist of 'skeletons in my closet', but I love it.
In July 2009, I FINALLY STARTED UNI! I cannot stress the word 'FINALLY' enough. You see, I was forced to take what most people call a 'gap year' for 2007/08. Why, might you ask? Well, let me take it back to the start ...
In 2006, I entered my final year of high school. However, by the time February/March came around, I had missed the majority of school because I had 'glandular fever' or 'pneumonia' (as I was first diagnosed with). Oh, how I'd love to see the doctors that diagnosed me with those again - and punch them right in the face. Anyway, it wasn't glandular fever or pneumonia. Far from it really ... It was Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Quite a thing to deal with at the age of 16, yes?
Okay, so that was Round 1. Yes, there have been more than one instance that the doctor has looked blankly at me and said, "there is cancer there". In fact, I've heard it four times now.
Round 2 came in October 2007; the year I had gone back and finished high school. A month away from graduation and oh, look at that - it's back. I did make it to the graduation ceremony, after getting out of hospital just that morning. In January 2008, I spent about a month and a half in hospital having, what turned out to be, an unsuccessful stem cell transplant.
Round 3 ... Ahh, yes ... A group of friends and I had never been to Melbourne, so we decided we would go for a weekend away in July 2008. The day we were due to leave, oh, it's back.
And finally, Round 4. I must say here that while I was "in the clear" between each round, I had deferred uni, and was looking to start every time a new semester began. In July 2009, I was getting rather excited. Uni was due to start and I was feeling great. Three days before I was to have my first uni lecture, and, you guessed it - it's back. But this time, it was going to stop me from going to uni! Last week, I started my second semester of uni. I'm studying a Bachelor of Public Relations, and loving it. I'm still having treatment and too many hospital visits, but managing a balance.
A common question I get is, why Public Relations? Well, combine that with my mad love for the Brisbane Broncos (actually, NRL in general!) and you have one hell of a dream to become a manager of some sort at your favourite footy club. I'll get there; in a couple of years I will be knock-knock-knocking on Bruno's (Cullen, CEO of Brisbane Broncos) door!
Well, I think I've covered everything for now. No doubt as soon as I post this, I will think of something else I should have said.
Until next time, happy blogging xxx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment